Monday, January 28, 2008

An Interesting Few Moments

I entered the coffee shop and set my bag on the only empty table, then I ordered a mocha, cause I drink those nowadays... I returned to the table and sat down.

I recognize the young man sitting at the table to my left, we have some mutal friends and have had a few theological discussions in the past, some agreements and some disagreements, but I'm not sure that he remembers... He is talking with someone, so I don't interupt.

To my right there are two of the older regulars sitting and talking with a young guy who I've never seen before.

I sit down, taking my book and my journal out of my bag... I cant decide whether I should read or write... I decide to read... As I open my book, I can't help but over hear bit's and pieces of the conversations (yes, I drop eaves... it a bad habit, I know) and that's where the interesting moments begin.

On the one side, the left, I hear the mention of church, missions, miracles, healings in the name of Christ... and almost at the exact moment I hear, on the other side, the right, I hear the mention of Mormonism, that Christ visited America, that Hinkley has died...

No sooner is this said than one of the regulars stands up and says emphatically to the other two "I can't listen to this. I don't believe in spirits floating around up there. I'm leaving." and he walks away. The younger guy, says something to the effect that he doesn't believe it either, but that he was only commenting on the beliefs of Mormans and that he didn't mean to offend... The regular returns. He says that he can't believe in a Deity, a God, who loves you, and yet, if you don't believe in Him, will burn you in hell. Then he leaves again.

The younger man says, to the other remaining regular, that he actually agrees with the one who just left... The remaining regular says that he has never seen the other get upset at anything, and says that he didn't know he could get so worked up.

The guys on my left are still talking away.

"Christians" on my left, "Unbelievers" on my right and me in the middle. How ironic. How interesting.

Come to find out that the young man on my right is actually a friend of my friend Jeremy, who I've been waiting for... And when Jeremy arrives, he introduces us. The young man was homeschooled as well, and works with Jeremy.

Such a small world here in Boise.

Later, I reintroduce myself to the guy on my left, and we chat for a bit. He's going to church now, at a smaller (almost a home church) that I have been to a couple times with another friend of mine. He invites me to a bible study (which is one reason I think he forgets our past discussions :) and I tell him about our monday night discussion group, which he shows a bit of interest in. We exchange phone numbers and I mention that I might see him at their church one of these upcoming sundays, because I have been meaning to go back.

They leave. The guys on my right have left. It's been an interesting hour. And it's time for me to go.

That's why I love Boise. Walk into any coffee shop downtown and you're bound to run into somebody, if you keep your eyes and ears open...You just never know who it'll be.

Matt

http://readmatti.blogspot.com

No comments: